Detailed info about ROOST carbon products
Materials and Construction
All handlebars are made from Toray T700 carbon and are designed to be used for all riding types – Enduro, DH, XC.
All wheelsets are laced and trued in our factory using the Holland Mechanics OT and then meticulously checked and tensioned by hand. Each spoke is checked for proper tension and every wheel is worked on to ensure true, evenly tensioned wheels.
All wheelsets are built up on the tried-and-true DT Swiss 350s hubs – wheelsets are available in Boost or Standard (142 rear/110 front) spacing and with Shimano of SRAM XD drivers.
Our carbon rims are made consistently and carefully with the following features:
- We use high modulus, prepreg carbon fiber in all layups to ensure a high strength to weight ratio.
- The nipple bed is reinforced with a curved carbon strip to ensure that each nipple is equally strong despite the spoke pull angle.
- All rim molds use curved airbags to ensure a smooth wall and consistent curing so that strength is maintained throughout the rim’s circumference.
The carbon rims we build our wheelsets with are 42mm wide on the outside and 35mm wide on the inside. The extra wide rims have a number of advantages over traditional narrow rims, including:
- A wider rim means more air volume in your tire provides a more dynamic, supple ride. Just like having a higher air volume in your suspension provides better suspension characteristics, more volume (not pressure) in your tire does the same.
- Wider rims square off your tire and create a larger contact patch between your tread and the ground. More tread equals more traction on the up and the down.
- Wider rims make your sidewall more straight because there is less curvature to accommodate a rim narrower than your tire’s tread. A straighter, more “standup” sidewall means more stability and less burping when running tubeless.
- Better strength-to-weight ratio. The wider profile on the rim means that less material is needed to achieve the same strength. In addition, your tire will “act wider” and so you can use a smaller tire to achieve the same results as a larger tire – and save weight in the process.
Here is some additional reading about the benefits of wider wheels:
Asymmetrical Rim Profile
Your axles are asymmetrical, why shouldn’t your rims be too?
The 3m spoke offset of our asymmetrical design means that the spoke lengths for the drive and non-drive side are more equal and so can be tensioned more equally to achieve a higher overall spoke tension and stiffness for the entire wheel.
Combined with our consistent and meticulous wheel-building process, this ensures that each wheels will be extremely durable and maintenance free for as long as possible.
The squat, 25mm vertical height of the rim profile means that forces will be distributed across the profile of the rim more readily and lessen the possibility of pinch flats or “snakebite”.
Warranty and Crash Replacement
The ROOST Limited Warranty and Crash Replacement Policy
At ROOST we understand that equipment failures, especially on a trip, are extremely frustrating. We are 100% confident that our wheels will stand up to all the abuse you give them and keep your whip rolling down the trail.
But, s*** happens. And the keep you riding we have two policies – our Limited Warranty and Crash Replacement. Read on.
When you buy a set of ROOST wheels we want you to have an excellent experience purchasing, setting up, and using your wheelset. We provide a one year warranty to the original purchaser against manufacturer defects covering workmanship, parts, and materials which fail under normal use.
During this initial period ROOST will correct the issue through repair or replacement at no cost. Our warranty will cover you if we screwed up – if you pop a spoke hole out of the rim – if a rim fails at a seam – if your wheelset has imperfections in the carbon – etc.
You ride your bike on dirt and rocks. Rocks are hard. Bikes go fast. Bikes fly through the air. The air is soft but when you land on rocks, the rocks are hard and sharp. Sometimes you tear a sidewall, flat, and smash a rim. Our rims are extremely strong and it takes a lot to break them but sometimes s*** happens.
If you break a rim because you smashed it on a rock, run over it with your VW van, or for any other reason – we offer a Crash Replacement purchase option. Send us photos of your busted rim and $225 gets you a new one just as soon as we can get one shipped out to you.
We want these policies to be clear, simple, and centered around the real world of riding bikes – if you have a question, please ask!
Rim and Wheel Weights
Our 42 outer/35 inner rims weigh 460 grams for the 650b/27.5 and 495 grams for the 29 inch.
Full wheelsets with DT Swiss 350s hubs and Boost spacing weigh 1725 grams for the 650b/27.5 and 1795 grams for the 29 inch. (142/100 wheelsets weigh just slightly less.)
What are our customers saying about ROOST Handlebars?
The ROOST Handlebar is a durable, wide, and lightweight carbon Handlebar. Each size (clamp 35mm or 31.8mm) weights 240 grams and are suitable for Enduro, XC, Trail, and even DH.
The 31.8mm clamp bar is 820mm wide and the 35.0mm clamp bar is 800mm wide (either can be cut down narrower if desired).
Please check out more photos of our ROOST Handlebar below and the tabs at the left for more detailed information on our products.
Shipping is a flat $15 to anywhere in the lower 48 states or avoid the shipping charge and come pick up a set of bars in Boulder, CO!